Michelle's independent resources for ESL Students at Vancouver Community College

This is a Canadian ESL blog for Intermediate and Advanced Students who want to learn and improve their English. Each PAGE above contains thousands of free English lessons, tutorials and practice exercises to help you learn and improve your English grammar, reading, listening, pronunciation, speaking, writing and editing. Some of the resources are Canadian. Others are from around the world.

The resources on this Canadian blog are all free, and I spend a lot of my time working on it, so please consider becoming a SUPPORTER. I appreciate all the support I get. It is the fuel that keeps me going.

Membership is FREE.

NOTE: To leave a comment, click on the word "comment" at the bottom of the page. A comment page will pop up.


Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Upside Down : Be Positive About your Efforts



This is a wonderful song that Jack Johnsonh wrote for his brother who had autism. The message is full of hope. Watch, listen and sing along with the lyrics below. If you are feeling discouraged about your improvement in English, your results in an exam or anything esle, this song will make you feel better. There is always a way. Singing along is also great for your pronunciation. Read the notes below before you start


Upside Down
Music and Lyrics by Jack Johnson

Who's to say
What's impossible
Well they forgot
This world keeps spinning
And with each new day
I can feel a change in everything
And as the surface breaks reflections fade
But in some ways they remain the same
And as my mind begins to spread its wings
There's no stopping curiosity

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found
I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs
I don't want this feeling to go away

Who's to say
I can't do everything
Well I can try
And as I roll along I begin to find
Things aren't always just what they seem

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found
I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs
This world keeps spinning and there's no time to waste
Well it all keeps spinning spinning round and round and

Upside down
Who's to say what's impossible and can't be found
I don't want this feeling to go away

Please don't go away
Please don't go away
Please don't go away
Is this how it's supposed to be
Is this how it's supposed to be


NOTES:

First try to say the lyrics out loud, as he sings. Focus on the phrasing Jack uses. You can even use slashes to show where he pauses or lines where he stresses a word.
Then, once you feel you can pronounce the words,. sing along with him several times.
You will be using English in a fun way and learning at the same time. You will also be working on your pronunciation and accent reduction. Have you noticed that Europeans and other language groups who sing in English don't have an accent. Why do you think that happens?


Think About It

What do you think Johnson means when he says?

1. Who's to say what's impossible?


2 As my mind begins to spread it wings, there's no stopping curiosity.


3. I find that things aren't always what they seem?


4. Ill find the things they say just can't be found.


5. Why do you think Jack chose to use the well known children';s book character Curious George in his video.

Use your critical thinking skills to reflect on the questions

Write your answers to the questions in the comment box below. Simply click on comment, and the comment box will pop up.


NOTE: Parents, you you might want to go to the PBS educational program using Curious George to teach c
hildren

Have a great day!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a web site, or a Google account, click on Name/URL and simply leave your name. You do NOT need to be a member to leave a comment.