Michelle's independent resources for ESL Students at Vancouver Community College

This is a Canadian ESL blog for Intermediate and Advanced Students who want to learn and improve their English. Each PAGE above contains thousands of free English lessons, tutorials and practice exercises to help you learn and improve your English grammar, reading, listening, pronunciation, speaking, writing and editing. Some of the resources are Canadian. Others are from around the world.

The resources on this Canadian blog are all free, and I spend a lot of my time working on it, so please consider becoming a SUPPORTER. I appreciate all the support I get. It is the fuel that keeps me going.

Membership is FREE.

NOTE: To leave a comment, click on the word "comment" at the bottom of the page. A comment page will pop up.


Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Have Fun Writing: Feel Like a Superstar




Do you want to have some fun writing, feel like a superstar  and have a good laugh at the same time?  Go to Wacky Web Tales   and try it out. I promise that you'll have a good time, and will want to do several exercises after you have done the first.

This is a very easy program to play.  Here's how it works. The Wacky Tales Program includes 50 or 60  different topics. After you choose a topic, and fill in a series of boxes with specific words, the computer program then creates a wacky ( funny) story using your words to support the title of the story.

Steps:  
  1. Choose a topic. 
  2. Fill in the blanks with  your own words. Be as crazy as possible. 
  3. Click the button at the end and see what story the computer has created with your words.
  4. Read the story. Notice the beginning and how the story grabs your attention.
  5. Have fun and rewrite your first story in another crazy way, or rewrite it in a logical way. 
  6. Try out several more. 
  7. This is a good way to try out new vocabulary and see how it doesn't belong, or how it does belong depending on the story line you choose to tell. 

Here is an example of what I got when chose the topic It's the Thought That Counts and used the words that are in bold in the resulting paragraph below.


It's the Thought that Counts

The final result:

It's the Thought that Counts

Have you ever gotten a birthday present you didn't want? Did you not get the one you really wanted? Well, that happened to me this year!

I really wanted a(n) Iphone with a(n) new camera on it. I saw one in the store and it was only $800. I mean, that's not too much money. I could save up my allowance for that in 250 weeks! But instead, all I got were socks . Who gives socks as a birthday present?

Mother says it's the thought that counts, and I guess she is right. But next time, I hope my parents think of the really cheap computer with a(n) expensive video game on it!


Good Luck! 
Have some fun and let me know if you enjoyed it, 
or what kind of results you got 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a web site, or a Google account, click on Name/URL and simply leave your name. You do NOT need to be a member to leave a comment.