Instead, you can watch TV on the internet. Here, you can can watch with fewer commercials . You can also stop and start the video as many times as you want.
Another advantage of watching Tv on the internet is that instead of having to wait for a week for the next episode of a favourite series, you can watch several episodes in a row. You can also catch up with episodes of a show you have ws they have missed, or watch more than one episode at a time.
All television networks on have their own websites that include specific links to each TV show on the network.
Each specific show page usually includes many details about the TV show itself, the cast (actors) who play the roles, the the story lines, the characters in the show and other kinds of updates.
TV.com : This is a website that lists and gives summaries as well as links for all popular TV shows in North America. You can see the shows by degree or popuylarity, by decade ( when they were made) The links will send you to the specific web page for the program itself.
If the site is on an American network, you will not be able to watch episodes on the Internet. However, these shows are often shown on Canadian networks, where you can watch them online.
- Television and Movie Vocabulary:
- Turn off the Tube (English Page)
- Types of TV Shows (Quizlet ) My word list (includes sound, flash cards practice, test, spelling and games
- Type of TV Shows
- Reading TV Listings (ESOL courses)
- Is TV a good or bad thing ? (elllo.org)
English TV Networks:
- CBC ( below )
- CTV (below)
- Global TV (below)
- TV Ontario
The U.S. (United States)
CBC.ca ( the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)
CBC ( the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) is Canada's public television network. It has both a radio and television network as well as a 24 hour news networks, and an international radio network.
CBC is funded by the Canadian government. However, the government has NO control over the contents. If you want to learn information about Canada, its culture, its people and its issues, this is the network to watch.
CBC Main TV Show Page
CBC Player (Another Page with Many Shows)
One of the great features of CBC TV is that it is one of the few networks where you can watch ALL of the shows of a specific program you like. This means that if the show is now in its 4th season, you can go back and watch right from episode 1 season 1. This is a wonderful feature if you are trying to get to know what the show is about, who and what the characters are like etc.
Some popular CBC shows include:
- Dragon's Den ( all episodes from season 1 to season 6)
- Little Mosque on the Prairie This hit sit come is an internationally-acclaimed comedy about Muslims and Christians attempting to live in harmony with each other in the small town of Mercy. And they are about to learn that it isn't as easy as they thought.
- Heartland is hour long drama about a large family who live in the country in Alberta getting through happy and difficult times.
- Mr. D Gerry Duncan has finally gotten a full time teaching position at the prestigious Xavier academy after years of substituting. Unfortunately he'll be teaching social studies, which he knows nothing about, instead of his dream Phys. Ed. job.
- Arctic Air is a one-hour adventure series set in the booming Arctic, about a maverick airline and the unusual family family who runs it.
- Cracked CRACKED is a unique blend of a police and medical drama inspired by the real-life experiences of police officers and mental-health professionals. The hour-long series shows the the psychological side of policing and the emotional impact on front-line workers. It's a fascinating yet affectionate exploration of all dimensions of human behavior.
The Big Bang Theory
- The Amazing Race
- The Amazing Race Canada
- The Voice (music talent show)
- American Idol ( music talent show now in its 12th season)
- So You Think You Can Dance (dance talent show)
Crime and Law
Medical and Hospital
Global TV Main Program Page
Global TV is a Canadian network. It has many programs you can watch on the internet. Each program has its own page.
Some of the most popular programs include:
a one hour musical comedy program about a group of ambitious and talented kids who escape the harsh realities of high school by joining a glee club (singing club) where they find strength, acceptance and, ultimately, their voice. This is the fourth season for the show.
TV Scripts and Teleplays (simplyscripts.com) ( includes Missing / Angel / Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Friends / Lost / Without a Trace / etc...)
English Language TV and Radio Broadcast Signals (learnenglish.de)
Radio - AM/FM
Free on line TV from around the World
- Soap Opera News ( Soap.com) : All the information about ALL the daytime soap operas. It includes daily summaries of all the story lines and updates on the characters. Very helpful if you want to get some background, or if you want to catch up.
Other TV Shows
The following episode is the only comp
- Do No Harm ( A very new show . It just started)
- The Neighbours
- Vampire Diaries
- Hot In Cleveland
- The New Normal the first comedy series from acclaimed producer/director Ryan Murphy (GLEE and AMERICAN HORROR STORY), THE NEW NORMAL is a hilarious and heart-warming look at what happens when two gay guys enlist a Midwestern single mother as their surrogate baby mama.
This list has something for everyone with a family friendly theme. Classic episodes as well as more recent programs are available on you tube.
Think of a show you'd like to watch or choose one from my list. Just go to the website and type it in. Many of these choices are no longer on television. For those selections which remain on t.v. today, You Tube is still the perfect option, because you can pick the episode you want to view at any given time.
The Golden Girls (7 complete seasons)
This is an excellent TV series to practice watching a regular TV situation comedy. The series was one of the top ten highest rated programs for six out of the seven seasons it was on TV. .
Now, you can watch every episode of all seven seasons on You Tube. After you have watched it without captions, you can turn on the captions to see how well you understood.
What It's About:
The Golden Girls is an American Situation Comedy about four reviously married women who ive together in Miami, sharing their various experiences together and enjoying themselves despite hard times.
Created by Susan Harris, the series originally aired on NBC from September 14, 1985, to May 9, 1992. It starred Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty. .
The Bill Cosby Show ( 2 seasons)
(Seasons 1 and 2) total of 48 episodes
Castle ( Seasons 1, 2.3 )
The Newheart Show (Season 1 18 episodes)
King of Kensington ( Season 1)
Highway to Heavewn (Season 1)
Highway to Heaven and Brids of a Feather
ER ( One episode)
Mr. Bean Channel
Everybody Loves Raymond
Everybody Loves Raymond (2)
Miami Vice ( One episode)
You Belong to the City Miami Vice
I Can Feel it in t he Air Tonight ( miami Vice scene)
cold case ( 6-7 episodes)